Our time tested recipe for making Steamed Crabs the Maryland way in the comfort of your home - or at least comfort of your property if you do it outside!
- 1 pot with lid
- An elevated platform (rack or similar device) placed in the bottom of the pot so the crabs will be raised above the liquid in the pot
- Live Crabs
- Old Bay Seasoning or similar seafood seasoning
- Coarse or Flake Salt - optional
- Vinegar, preferably apple cider vinegar
- Flat beer - optional
- For each dozen crabs put 1 cup of water and 1 cup of vinegar into the pot. If you like, you can add a can of flat beer also.
- Place the crabs on the elevated platform in the pot, sprinkling the Old Bay Seasoning generously over each layer of crabs - option is to add some coarse salt or flake salt to the Old Bay before sprinkling (traditionally salt is added to Old Bay, just make sure it's coarse or flake not table salt). Other types of seafood seasoning may not need salt.
- Cover and steam until bright red or orange, about 20-30 minutes.
- Remove crabs from pot and place on paper covered table and ENJOY!